Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ruined by Paula Morris

Review:

Since her father has a business trip to China, Rebecca is sent away to live with a family friend in New Orleans for the next six months. Spending time away from her friends and the gossip in New York doesn’t seem too appealing. Especially when she has to spend it with the odd gothic Claudia that plays with Tarot cards for a living. When Rebecca meets the arrogant snobs of Temple Mead Academy, she is instantly on their bad side. Except for the attractive Anton Grey who seems to be interested in her but is sadly unavailable. After wandering into the cemetery one night, Rebecca comes across Lisette, a ghost only she can see. And it seems Lisette has been waiting over a hundred years to get the revenge she longs for.

Ruined is perfectly paced and has a constantly intriguing storyline. I wasn’t attached to any of the characters and they lack personality. I was going back and forth “I hate this book!” “I love this book!” It repeated Rebecca’s thoughts too much when all I wanted was to dive deeper. It’s amazing how author Paula Morris kept the story going with so few settings. This book is packed with a lot of interesting historic info without being overly descriptive. It introduced me to the New Orleans I never knew. It had a huge twist I didn’t see coming that made me gasp out loud. I wasn’t fully satisfied with the ending because the “feel” didn’t fit the rest of the story. You’d have to be very patient to read this book but over all I think it’s worth the read.


Ruined by Paula Morris

315 pages, published by Point division of Scholastic, AGES 13+

Contains: satanic arts, brief gruesome description

RECOMMENDED

11 comments:

  1. Nice review. I actually really loved this book, it was one of the few YA books I read last year that I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very similar reaction as you to this book. Some stuff I liked, some stuff I didn't; overall, it's okay. I agree about the ending - it felt weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED the book. It was probably the best i've read all year. I could really relate, and it had a good point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I know you're a book critic and all, but you really shouldn't say things like that. How DARE you spew all this crap about the characters lacking personality when you yourself probably couldn't write a book yourself!
    Get a life and stop critiquing others' hard work. You know, authors have feelings too. They aren't protected from others' hurtful words about their books! Keep your opinions to YOURSELF. NO-one WANTS TO HEAR THEM. I thought this was called reading to YOURSELF, RIGHT? Well, then, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry she had to say that. I admire you

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you liked Ruined, great for you! I’m glad you enjoyed it. Everyone has different tastes. In music, art, books, et cetera. I hope you noticed I do recommend this book. There have been much worse reviews for much worse books. For those who have read my other reviews and agree, they can trust my opinion on this one. If you don’t agree, well that’s just fine. It’s nothing to argue about.

    When I’m reading to myself, I’m thinking to myself. About what I’m reading. Simple as that. So after this reading/thinking, I write about it so that others who are thinking of reading the same book might know what to expect. Of course, it could turn out they think the total opposite of what I thought. Again, that’s just fine.

    I don’t see how this proves anything, but I have written a book. I’m in the midst of revising it and hope to send it out to a few publishers. I have a few other ones I’ve been working on also. Like I said in the “About Me”, I hope to become a published writer one day. But for now, I’m studying other writers and their works. To see what I don’t what my books to be like and to see what I do want them to be like.

    Though I wasn’t particularly happy to read this comment of yours, I do appreciate that you took the time to write it all out. I’m not attacking any authors or their books here on my blog. I really admire their hard work and patience in writing a book AND getting it published! It’s a big feat not many have accomplished.

    And to the second commenter, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish i could find a place online to actually read this, i have it at home but im not at home...:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! You've got a nice blog, its simple and pretty :D

    Please become a follower on my blog!

    Thanks!!

    Hafsah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loveddddddddddddddddddddddddddd this book. It was soooooooooo good. I hope they make a movie out of it that would be so awesome!!!! I can just imagine Anton in my head!!! I think it would be an awesome movie.....!! There should be a sequal to this book!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I returned the book but now have a project on it and cant find the chapter names:( nut i love the book!

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.